As a commitment to Arizona State University’s overall sustainability goals, Orange Mall Green Infrastructure Project is the first to be submitted for Sustainable SITES certification. Located in the core of ASU’s Tempe Campus, the project replaces a former section of roadway and cul-de-sac with a new pedestrian mall and multi-use plaza for programmed events and informal social gatherings by students, faculty and staff. Developed in concert with the adjacent LEED Platinum and emerging Net Zero Student Pavilion, the SITES Gold-certified landscape utilizes low impact development (LID) techniques to create an integrated sustainable design solution for both building and site. Connected runnels transfer collected building condensate and stormwater from on-site to a series of planted bio-swales and a rain garden for infiltration and as supplemental irrigation. Excess stormwater flows to a second infiltration gallery for use as groundwater recharge. Students will be actively involved in the on-going monitoring of several site performance factors including stormwater quality and flow rates along with monitoring of space utilization and social interactions. The Orange Mall GI Project serves as a regional model for the sustainable management of water resources and the careful consideration of human comfort in a hot, arid climate.
Get more information on this SITES-certified project from ASU, ASU's Herberger Institute for Design and the Arts, and the Landscape Architecture Foundation.
Congratulations to the project team:
- Arizona State University:
- Byron Sampson, PLA - University Landscape Architect
- Norman Yatabe, PLA - Design Manager
- Pedro Chavarriaga - Project Manager
- Chingwen Cheng, PhD, PLA - Landscape Performance Research
- Cowell Shelor Landscape Architecture: Allison Cowell, RLA (Prime Consultant)
- Spectrum Irrigation Consulting Inc.: David Powell, CID (Irrigation)
- Bakkum Noelke Structural Engineers: Gregory Bakkum, PE (Structural)
- KLAND Civil Engineers: Lesley Kland, PE; Casey Haderly, PE (Civil)
- Woodward Engineering: Douglas Woodward, PE (Electrical)
- J.E Dunn Construction Company: Daron Kettler, Project Manager
- Ecological Environments: Cindy Quinn, RA, LEED AP BD+C, WELL AP, SITES AP (SITES Consultant)